Yes, we three were so happy, my wife, my guitar and me.
Big Bill Broonzy
Remember this guitar?
It is a close copy of a c.1839 Rene Lacote guitar that I made some time again. The peg head was fitted with mechanical friction tuners.
The tuners never worked that well, I had a hard time keeping them tight to the peg head and when they were tight, they were hard to adjust. I wanted a better solution.
My solution was to cut off the original peg head back to the original "V" of the joint and pare it down to the glue line.
I thought a piece of Spanish cedar would contrast well with the black walnut, in this photo I have cut out the female part of the joint.
Both male and female parts are mated and ready for glue up.
I have found making full size drawings a very helpful and time saving practice, I wanted to make sure that the tuner slots won't cut into the male part of the joint.
Thanks goodness for long reach "C" clamps!
Gluing on the top veneer.
This drilling jig from Stew-Mac was awfully expensive (overpriced comes to mind!), it's less of a hassle to set up than the jig from LMII.
Here is the final product.
The back side of the head. I'll use silver Hauser tuners from Schaller!
The guitar is ready for French polish. It's a sweet sounding guitar and now it will be even easier to play and tune!