Carving a Hernandez y Aguado Style Guitar Head

The head design is bold, and includes two central areas which are carved out, and finished with a textured effect.

Roy Courtnall, Making Master Guitars, 1993



As a follow-up to my last post, here are some photos of what can be done with "stippling".


Oh, what things you learn whenever you work with wood! Always double check your layout and make sure all reference points are where they are suppose to be!




I look forward to the next Hernandez y Aguado copy I make, even though the carving on the head is quite basic and simple, it was quite exciting to see the work progress. I discovered what I need to do to improve the next head I carve.


Jory Vinikour will be the director of the Early Music Festival and Workshop at the Rocky Ridge Music Center this coming August. Rocky Ridge is located at the base of Longs Peak and is just six miles north of my house on Highway 7! I hope to attend some concerts there this summer.

In this YouTube video he plays one of my favorite pieces by Francois Couperin, Les Barricades Mistérieuses.




Comments

Popular Posts