Krenov Style Hand Plane, Part 4: Glue Up

...tools are essential; their grace and deliberateness make your hand reach out to them--lightning rods to ground the creative spirit.

Roy Underhill, The Woodwright's Shop, 1981




This past Monday I took time out from running errands so I could work on the Krenov style hand plane, I couldn't just let it sit. As you can see, it was a very humid day for this part of Colorado! I had to build a fire in the fireplace that night to take out some of the humidity!

Before I begin describing the photos, I want to say that this is not a tutorial on how to make a Krenov style handplane, there are many websites and weblogs that are very detailed and quite good about this kind of project. I never wanted this blog to be a "how-to", it is simply a blog about what I do.




I drilled the holes for the indexing screws with a drill press and discovered that the dowel was smaller than the hole. Next time I think I will use screws to index the sides and center blocks!




Laying out for the cross pin hole.





I set my marking gauge so I could duplicate the height of the cross pin on the opposite cheek. It's quick and easy, a trick I learned as a carpenter!




I carved the pins with my sloyd knife.




The cross pin all carved and finished! Boy, I spent some time getting this thing right! I had to plane and sand it so it was the proper distance from the center block.




Applying the glue. Yeah, I know it is not as neatly done as Finick does in his book, but I am trying to make this plane rather quickly without losing the point of the project in all the details of making it!




The clamps are applied!

The next post will be about glueing on the sole and fitting the mouth to the blade, I am looking forward to that!




This where I got to work today, Walker Ranch Open Space.



Since I can't get to my studio as much as I would like to, I still have to remind myself why I work with wood, so here are some videos that I hope make your day a little brighter. These guitars are the romance of wood working, why I hold onto hand tools, tools to make a tool that really sings!



Comments

Popular Posts