Krenov Style Hand Plane, Part 2: Who Says You Need An Electric Router To Make One?

Old World planes, made as much to look at as to do a job, often had inscriptions and floral carving. But the completely utilitarian American plane, except for an occasional graceful handle, usually resembled a box.

Eric Sloane, A Museum of American Tools, 1964



Today, I took the plunge and started cutting out parts for a 9/10/11 inch long Krenov-style plane. I used my trusty DeWalt contractor's saw with a rip blade to rip the piece of walnut down and then it was to the Bosch sliding compound miter saw to cut the angles. Then I used a Stanley No. 4 smoothing plane to make the saw blade marks disappear, everything fits together well, though I will tweak everything on a large sanding board. In this photo I am using my Stanley brace with a 3/4 inch Irwin bit to drill out the end of the slot for the chip breaker nut. I plane one chiseling out the slot tomorrow with a Pexto 3/4 inch chisel.



A close up of drill bit and wood.




Parts cut and set out in order of assembly. I am using a 3/8 inch thick piece (as per instructions in The Fine Art of Cabinet Making) of bubinga for the sole. I figure that it will add a little weight to the finished product.




The blade in place to give me a better idea of the work ahead.

I like Finck's book, Making and Mastering Wood Planes, especially if you have never made a plane (or anything else made out of wood) before, but if you have the skills and knowledge of putting a project together, I think you would be better off following Maestro Krenov's instructions that he gives in The Fine Art of Cabinet Making.

If you want to make this "box" that is a plane, just go ahead and do it! And for crying out loud, don't make it from a kit! Sorry, Mr. Hock!

Comments

  1. Looking good Wilson.

    I have those pages in Krenov's book marked for having a go at this myself someday.

    Krenow seems to have left some external surfaces of his planes with a more-or-less from-the-bandsaw finish - how will you finish yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I will finish the plane, right now I just want it to work! I suspect I suspect I I won't do too much to it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts