Shopmade Cutter Gauges, Part 2

The most significant tools for the luthier guitar maker are the bramils.

Manuel Rodriguez, The Art and Craft of Making Classical Guitars, 2003



This is day 2 of being sick with a head cold, it is really tough for me to sit and be quiet which means I am a little bored, so I thought I would give an update on the "bramils" that I made last week.

As you can see in the following photographs, the brass wear strips were inlaid into the arms and the cutters were shaped and sharpened.

I put a very light coat of linseed oil mixed with Naptha on the walnut to bring out the wood's color a little more.

These "gramils" work very well on a stock piece of wood, I look forward to using them on a guitar.

It's been awhile since I made a tool for the workshop, I may have to make some more.








Here's a YouTube of Scot Tennant playing a 1958 Miguel Rodriguez guitar.

I might just have to try my hand at making a guitar based upon a 1976 Miguel Rodriguez this winter...



Comments

Popular Posts