Another Use for Cam Clamps

There is quite a variety of clamps to meet the needs of the various kinds of work to be clamped.

Harry F. Ulrey, Audel's Carpenters and Builders Library No.1, 1965




There are days when I dislike using my Shop Fox vise to hold thin pieces of wood and today I needed to taper down a piece of ebony that is going to be inserted into a bubinga guitar back.

I used a technique that I figured out a while ago to hold the wood, a cam clamp front and back on the piece.

The clamp in the front gets butted up against the bench stop and the clamp on the back helps steady the piece while I plane away with my no.7 jointer plane.



This is what the back will look like, I still need to joint all edges before I proceed with the glueing process.

Yes, I do use exotic woods, but Auburn Hardwoods, where I got the bubinga and Luthiers Mercantile International, the ebony, both assured me that both woods were from sustainable sources.

Now, turn off the computer, get into your shop and do some work! I'm going for a run!

Comments

Popular Posts