A Guitar Maker's Christmas Wish List

One Christmas Eve, I was told, certain payments due did not mature, and grandfather found himself unable to pay his men's wages. At that time the daily fare of the village was home-cured bacon: and when it was suggested that, for the family Christmas dinner, a piece of fresh meat should be brought from the butcher, he forbade it, on the principle that such a luxury was inconsistent with the non-payment of wages. And on that Christmas day the family sat down to nothing more than the everyday bacon.

Walter Rose, The Village Carpenter, 1937


Dear Santa:

This December I listed every step in making a guitar and identified every tool for each step.

I inventoried all of my tools and discovered more tools are needed to increase my efficiency, efficiency increases speed, speed means I make more guitars for sale, which means more money to pay off the mortgage.

I searched and searched tool catalogs, websites and at last I found every needed tool.

The list is a long one, but Santa, today when I was walking through the beautiful forest and all the snow that has graced these Rocky Mountains these last two weeks, I realized what it is I want most for Christmas.

What I want for Christmas is...

Peace on Earth, goodwill to men.

Please exchange all those gifts for me and my wife for love, cheer and kindness and deliver those three things to everyone in the world.

Thank you, Santa!

Wilson Burnham

P.S.

Say "Hi!" to Mrs. Santa and your hard working elves.

P.P.S

The heater in the horses' water tank is on and I opened up several bales of alfalfa hay for your reindeer!


MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!

Comments

  1. That's the true spirit of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Wilson. I'm not much given to envy, but as the temperatures here in London hover around 60F and you're posting beautiful pictures of the snow-covered wide open spaces, I am (like my garden) somewhat green.

    Like most of your readers, I think, I don't post the replies your blogging deserves, but rest assured that any day you make a new post is a good day in my world. My shop has been shuttered for the last six months but I'm hopeful that 2016 will see the start of my first guitar. Thanks for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Wilson.
    Peace on earth is all this old warrior ever wants... All year long
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Wilson,
    I opened your blog and was happy to read a new post for Christmas. It makes me smile as I enjoy all your posts. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and journey as a builder.
    Merry Christmas you you and all our fellow luthiers!
    Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful post,

    this is the spirit of christmas.

    All the best wishes for 2016 for you and your family!

    Uwe, Cologne, Germany

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts